The Greeks: History of an Ancient Advanced Culture Life in Ancient Greece
The Greeks: History of an Ancient Advanced Culture | Life in Ancient Greece
Introduction to Greek history
"Ancient Greece is the birthplace of much of Western knowledge and many sciences. This applies to philosophy, where we find Socrates, Plato and Aristotle, as well as to literature, such as the immortal dramas of Sophocles. It also applies to mathematics where we find Pythagoras and Euclid, and it applies to the historiography of Herodotus. Last but not least, we owe our Olympic Games to the "ancient Greeks" and, to a large extent, even our political regime, democracy. The concept of a universe that consists of atoms was first thought of by Democritus, and many of our scientific approaches come from Thales of Miletus and his successors. Archimedes already had early technical and physical knowledge. Our Latin alphabet also comes from ancient Greece, where it was introduced by the Phoenicians in the 8th century B.C."
What you will learn in this book...
- ... the origins of Greece
- ... the Cycladic culture (from ca. 3200 BC.)
- ... the Minoan culture (ca. 2700 – 1500 v. Chr.)
- ... the Mycenaean Culture (ca. 2700 – 1500 BC)
- ... the Dark Centuries (ca. 1200 – 800 BC.)
- ... the Archaic Period (ca. 800 – 500 BC.)
- ... the time of the Polis
- ... Legislative/Kleisthenis' legal reform
- ... the Persian Wars
- ... the era of classical music
- ... Hellenism (ca. 336 – 30 BC.)
- ... Excursion: Greek mythology / the oracle of Delphi / Famous Greeks
- ... and more, much more!
Get the book today and discover the world of the Greeks!
- Product Details
Publisher: Tim Ong
Publication Date: 08-19-2019
Product Dimensions: 5.00(w) x 7.99(h) x 0.31(d)